Overview of Program
Summary: Program participants complete a 6 to 8 week social justice oriented prep course that educates students in the history, politics, socio-economic background, and culture of the country they are visiting. Following the course, participants embark on a 10 day journey where they are immersed in various cultural, educational, and recreational activities. We give participants an opportunity to select certain activities on the trip. The trip and prep course are provided at no cost.
(More information on the specifics of each trip, such as dates and age range, will be provided during the application period.)
How It Works:
- Youth submit applications.
- A handful of youth are selected for an in-person interview with youth and parent/guardian.
- Final cohort is notified.
- Youth confirm participation and acquire passports.
- Youth begin prep course with their fellow travelers.
- Youth take 10 day trip.
Who Is Eligible?:
- Youth between the ages of 16 and 23 (ages vary based on trip),
- Are of African descent,
- Have not traveled outside the United States (excluding Canada),
- And have completed the prep course
What are examples types of activities will take place during the trip:
- Lessons and workshops
- Meeting with local youth
- Meeting with local elected officials
- Visiting innovative businesses
- And more!